Our porch has been an ongoing project for several years. In this post, I share the TOTAL transformation process, which includes links detailing each specific phase.
Our patio porch has been an ongoing project for several years. In this post, I will share how we installed tile on our porch.
Our patio porch has been an ongoing project for several years. In this post, I will share how we laid a brick border (brick roll lock) around the edge of our patio porch. A brick roll lock is a series of bricks laid on their face with their ends visible.
Over the past few years, we have been working on our porch. One phase of this project was installing simulated stone. Before we could do this, however, we had to shore up the porch foundation.
I saw this burlap fabric at Hobby Lobby and knew I had to make Christmas pillow slipcovers for my front porch bench. 🎄 I like making slipcovers for various seasons rather than having multiple pillows. It is much easier to store the slipcovers as compared to multiple sets of pillows and it is an excuse for me to sew!🧵✂️
A few years ago we built a fireplace on our porch overlooking the lake. We are not experts by any means, but over the years, we have gained the confidence to tackle projects by actually just jumping in with both feet! We have also learned how to be resourceful by breaking down projects step-by-step and just figuring it out by researching. Let’s just say that we have watched a lot of YouTube videos and use a “learn as we go” approach.
Below is a before and after picture of our lakeside porch. The before picture is prior to us renovating and adding an addition to our lake house, which, included adding a double window and covering the block wall with rock. The after picture encompasses other porch projects such as wrapping the cedar posts (to become white columns) and adding old barn wood on our ceiling. Our patio porch is still a work in progress. Our next step is to add flooring.
We originally had old cedar columns on our porch. As part of our porch renovation project, we decided to add an apron to frame the porch ceiling and then we wrapped the cedar columns with Hardie boards. Below is a glimpse of one of the columns. Here is a before picture (also before the outdoor fireplace and old barn wood ceiling. Notice in the picture below the old columns on the far left and that there is no apron around the edge of the ceiling.
This is a picture of the porch ceiling before we added the old barn wood.
Below is an after picture of the barn wood ceiling (also after we added the rock on the face of the house, built the fireplace, and wrapped the columns). The floor is our next project!
I really enjoy the transformational process that occurs when I chalk paint furniture. We purchased this bench from Grandinroad. It is the prefect size for our porch; however, we changed our minds about the color (black) and decided to chalk paint it so it blended better with our porch.
I had two faded pillows that I made a few years ago for our front porch. I used outdoor fabric; however, they faded over time. I decided to make spring/summer slipcovers for them. (I am eventually going to make slipcovers for every season. So far, I just have Christmas slipcovers and these floral slipcovers.)
The first step was to measure the existing pillows. I flattened them the best I could to get an accurate measurement. I determined that the slipcovers needed to be 16.5 inches and I wanted a 1/2 inch seam, so this equated to 17.5 x 17.5 inches total.
Once I determined the size, I needed to square my fabric, so I would have two perfect squares. I used a triangular ruler and a yardstick.