I saw this burlap fabric at Hobby Lobby and knew I had to make Christmas pillow slipcovers for my front porch bench. 🎄 I like making slipcovers for various seasons rather than having multiple pillows. It is much easier to store the slipcovers as compared to multiple sets of pillows and it is an excuse for me to sew!🧵✂️
We found this Singer sewing machine base at an antique mall in Vestavia, Alabama several years ago. We love old things. We used it on our patio porch for several years. We used a rough (not polished) piece of granite as its countertop.
Because Neal and I have moved around so much for my career, I was finally thankful to actually have a craft room/closet to leave my sewing machine out and used it as needed without having to unpack/pack up each time. I also have more time now that I am semi-retired.
Below are two before pictures of the sewing machine base. Notice that it is very rusty.
I had two faded pillows that I made a few years ago for our front porch. I used outdoor fabric; however, they faded over time. I decided to make spring/summer slipcovers for them. (I am eventually going to make slipcovers for every season. So far, I just have Christmas slipcovers and these floral slipcovers.)
The first step was to measure the existing pillows. I flattened them the best I could to get an accurate measurement. I determined that the slipcovers needed to be 16.5 inches and I wanted a 1/2 inch seam, so this equated to 17.5 x 17.5 inches total.
Once I determined the size, I needed to square my fabric, so I would have two perfect squares. I used a triangular ruler and a yardstick.