We removed the old stove and hood.
Reconfigured the kitchen cabinets
We removed the crown molding in two places, so we could reconfigure the cabinets. We removed the cabinet above the stove and installed a smaller cabinet to make room to install a microwave).We installed a smaller cabinet above the stove. We bought a stock cabinet at Home Depot with a door similar to the other cabinet doors. It was a different finish; however, all the cabinets will be painted, which will make it blend. (This picture is actually after we primed the cabinet frame.
We moved the tall end cabinet about 3 inches (to make room for a larger refrigerator) and inserted a piece of wood to fill the gap where the cabinet was moved to make room for the refrigerator. (This picture was also taken after we primed the cabinets.) This piece of wood will also be painted to blend with the cabinets.
Here is a closeup.
The next step was to reinstall the crown molding and caulk it in preparation for painting.
Prepare for Painting
We remove all the cabinets doors and drawers. We numbered the inside of each door and drawer.
We cleaned the cabinets, lightly sanded, and then cleaned the cabinet surfaces again after sanding. We did this to the cabinet frames and then to the doors (both sides) and drawer surfaces.
Priming the Cabinets
We primed the cabinet frames and then both sides of the doors and the surface of each drawer with Zinsser primer.
Painting the Cabinets
We used Behr Paint (satin) from Home Depot. The color is Silky White – PPU7-12. It is an off-white.
We painted the island cabinets Ozone PPU 13-14. It is a blueish-gray.
- We painted all the cabinet frames.
- We painted each side of the doors.
- We painted each drawer facing.
We then painted a second coat on the cabinet frames. Notice that I painted the inside edge of each opening.
Then we painted a second coat on each side of the doors. We painted a second coat on each drawer facing.
Rehanging All the Doors and Drawers
Thankfully, we had numbered all the doors and drawers, so it simplified this process.
We purchased black knobs from Home Depot.
We created a template from cardboard and then used this template to mark each cabinet door and drawer with a pencil.
We drilled holes in each door and drawer and screwed each knob in place.
Here are pictures of the finished cabinets with the appliances installed. We also installed a new faucet. These pictures show the final result after the new flooring.
My Mom is pleased with the result!
To learn how we installed vinyl plank flooring over the tile floor, click HERE.
Let us know what you think or if you have any questions by posting below.
Follow Life with Neal and Suz: